Hyundai Creta crosses 6 lakh-unit sales milestone in India

    The Hyundai Creta has taken 70 months to achieve this sales milestone.

    Published On Jun 14, 2021 08:00:00 AM


    Hyundai Creta crosses 6 lakh-unit sales milestone in India

    The popular Hyundai Creta has achieved yet another sales milestone, as over 6,00,000 units have been sold since it was first launched in 2015.

    • The Hyundai Creta has taken just under 6 years to achieve this milestone.
    • The last 1 lakh units were sold over the last 8 months.
    • Second-gen Creta is one of the highest selling models in its segment.

    Hyundai Creta sales milestones

    The last 1,00,000 unit sales have come in just eight month, with the Creta having crossed the 5 lakh -unit sales mark in August 2020. It’s a creditable achievement for the country’s bestselling SUV because the past year has been impacted by COVID-19-induced lockdowns and poor market sentiment.

    The 6 lakh-unit sales milestone has come in 70 months or a little under six years. As per our sister publication Autocar Professional’s statistics, a total of 6,06,743 Cretas have been sold in India since its launch on July 21, 2015.

    The diesel variant accounts for 3,99,787 units – or 66 percent – of total Creta sales, while the petrol Creta has been bought by 2,06,956 buyers, who constitute the remaining 34 percent of sales. The robust demand for the diesel Creta, powered by the 1.5-litre US CRDI, remains undiminished and unlike some carmakers, who have gone slow on diesel power, Hyundai is benefiting from its diesel drive.

    Second-gen Creta gives sales a new charge

    Surging demand for the new Creta has only furthered what the first-generation Creta achieved. Despite the COVID-19-induced loss of sales, particularly in the early part of financial year (FY) 2021, the second-generation model, which was launched on March 16, 2020, has logged sales of 1,39,204 units in the 14 months, till April 2021, and remains the bestselling utility vehicle in India. Rolled out at an introductory price of Rs 9.99 lakh (ex-showroom), the new Creta is available in five engine-gearbox configurations and five trim levels.

    Interestingly, over 20 percent of sales of the new Creta have come from automatic powertrain options – 1.5-litre MPi petrol (6MT/IVT), 1.5-litre U2 CRDi diesel (6MT/6AT) and the 1.4-litre Kappa Turbo GDi petrol (7DCT). Over 51 percent of India sales are from the higher-spec SX and SX(O) trims and there’s over 60 percent sales contribution from the 1.5-litre U2 CRDi BS6 diesel-powered variants.

    The impact of the new Creta’s sales is felt on the overall SUV segment’s performance in India. In FY2021, the SUV segment crossed the million-units sales milestone for the first time – 10,60,750 – and the Creta contributed 1,20,035 units or 11 percent to total UV sales last fiscal.

    Over 2.21 lakh Hyundai Cretas exported

    Adding power to the Creta story is the SUV’s export performance. As per our sister publication Autocar Professional’s data analytics, a total of 2,21,626 Cretas have been exported till end-April 2021 (see stat table). It also helped Hyundai regain the No. 1 exporter crown in FY2020 and hold on to the crown in FY2021.

    Hyundai future plans

    Going forward, Hyundai is preparing to launch the three-row Alcazar on June 18. Additionally, a micro-SUV that is internally known as Hyundai AX1 could come to India sometime early next year.

    Also see:

    Hyundai Creta to get new SX Executive variant

    Hyundai Creta facelift in the works

    Hyundai Alcazar bookings commence, interiors revealed

    Copyright (c) Autocar Professional. All rights reserved.



    No comments yet. Be the first to comment.

    Ask Autocar Anything about Car and Bike Buying and Maintenance Advices
    Need an expert opinion on your car and bike related queries?
    Ask Now

    Search By Car Price

    Poll of the month

    Tata is considering separate showrooms for EVs, do you think all carmakers should do this?

    Yes, EV buyers have distinct needs



    Yes, it shows a strong commitment to EVs



    No, splitting showrooms creates inconvenience



    No, it will dilute the brand



    Total Votes : 710
    Sign up for our newsletter

    Get all the latest updates from the automobile universe