Citroen quits World Rally Championship

    With Sebastien Ogier deciding to leave the team, Citroen has axed its WRC programme.

    Published On Nov 20, 2019 06:43:00 PM

    4,795 Views

    Citroen quits World Rally Championship

    Citroen has quit the World Rally Championship (WRC) with immediate effect, claiming the decision was made because lead driver Sebastien Ogier is leaving the team.

    The French firm has a storied history in the WRC, winning nine consecutive drivers’ championships with Sebastien Loeb between 2004 and 2014, and eight manufacturers’ titles during that period. But it has struggled to compete with Toyota and Hyundai in recent years, finishing third in this year’s team’s championship. Ogier – who has won six drivers’ titles with Volkswagen and M-Sport Ford – completed the 2019 season in 3rd place in the drivers’ standings.

    Ogier had started his works career with Citroen in 2009 and he returned to the firm this season on a two-year deal. But his unhappiness with the competitiveness of his C3 WRC became clear during the year. He is widely expected to switch to the title-winning Toyota squad for 2020. Finn Esapekka Lappi also drove for the team this year.

    In a statement, Citroen Racing said that “following the decision of Sebastien Ogier to leave Citroen Racing after 2019 WRC season, Citroen decided to withdraw from its WRC programme in 2020 due to the absence of a first-class driver available for 2020 season”.

    With sister firm DS a frontrunner in Formula E and Peugeot gearing up to return to the World Endurance Championship with a hybrid supercar in 2022, Citroen had been expected to leave the WRC in the coming years – but it is still a surprise for the firm to leave so quickly.

    Citroen has shifted the focus of its road car line-up to emphasise comfort and electrification in recent years and away from performance-focused models, making its WRC programme an odd fit. The release added that the decision would enable it to “reinforce the focus of its marketing means on its brand strategy, to address the current stakes regarding energy transition with the launch of a new generation of electrified models from 2020".

    Citroen boss Linda Jackson said: “Our decision to withdraw from WRC programme as early as end of 2019 follows on Sébastien Ogier’s choice to leave Citroen Racing. We obviously have not wished this situation but we could not imagine the 2020 season without Sébastien.

    “I would like to thank the Citroen Racing team for their passion and commitment. A part of Citroen’s DNA is intimately linked with the rally and we are proud to be one of the most titled brands in WRC History with 102 victories and eight manufacturer titles.”

    Also see:

    2019 Citroen C5 Aircross review, test drive

    Vincent Cobee to join Citroen as Deputy CEO

    India-bound Citroen C5 Aircross will also get leasing options

    Citroen Cars

    Copyright (c) Autocar UK. All rights reserved.

    Comments
    ×
    img

    No comments yet. Be the first to comment.

    Ask Autocar Anything about Car and Bike Buying and Maintenance Advices
    Need an expert opinion on your car and bike related queries?
    Ask Now
    Search By Car Price
    Poll of the month

    Which was your favourite Car, SUV at Auto Expo 2023

    Maruti Suzuki Jimny

     

    26.02%

    Maruti Suzuki Fronx

     

    14.70%

    Maruti Suzuki eVX concept

     

    2.95%

    Tata Harrier EV

     

    9.88%

    Tata Sierra

     

    23.36%

    Hyundai Ioniq 5

     

    4.10%

    Hyundai Ioniq 6

     

    3.34%

    Kia EV9 concept

     

    2.62%

    MG4

     

    2.05%

    Toyota Land Cruiser 300

     

    11.00%

    Total Votes : 2783
    Sign up for our newsletter

    Get all the latest updates from the automobile universe