Natural calamities such as cyclones, earthquakes, floods and hailstorms are unpredictable and there is nothing you can do to control or avoid them. In the past few years, different parts of India have witnessed major floods that caused serious damage to life and property. Talking specifically about car damage due to floods, having a comprehensive insurance policy for your car can help you manage the situation without any stress and save you a lot of time and money in getting the vehicle repaired. Comprehensive car insurance also covers theft and other natural calamities.
Claiming insurance for your flooded vehicle:
If your car was partially or fully submerged in water, it will mean major damages and a high cost for repairs. To claim insurance, you must:
Avoid starting the car right away
While knowing about the importance of car insurance is a must, you also need to be aware of the first thing to do if your vehicle gets damaged by a flood. You may be tempted to start your submerged car but do not make the mistake of doing so. It will cause more damage to the engine which may not be covered in the policy. So, it is best to let the car be and click photos of it. If you notice any other damage, take photos of that too.
Inform the insurer at the earliest
Floods can cause huge damages which mean the insurance company could be juggling many claims from all quarters. Hence, inform the company as soon as you can and send your car to the service centre immediately. You can contact the insurer by email or call them on the customer-care numbers. You need to fill the claim form for car insurance online and you can attach photos if you want. You can also use their mobile app and do the needful. Do not delay the process because the longer you take, the likelihood of water damaging the car will increase and it could lead to long-term damage. Plus, anticipate the extra time the insurer might take to process the claim.
Steps to register an insurance claim:
1. Call on the landline or toll-free number of the car insurance company.
2. Share details with the insurer about your policy and where the car was parked at the time of floods.
3. Now the company will provide a Claim Registration Number and you can use it as a reference number.
4. You will be provided with a scheduled time to pick up the car.
5. The insurance company will assign a surveyor who will assess the damages to the car. Once it is done, the service team at the garage will be consulted and you will be informed about the claim amount payable for the repair of the car. Additionally, you will also be informed about the money you will have to pay for the repairs if any.
6. Once all the issues are cleared, sign on the claim approval form and keep a copy for the future.
7. You will get to know when the car will be repaired and delivered to you.
8. In a cashless claim, the insurance company will directly pay the garage service team. In case of reimbursement, you will have to make the payment and the insurance company will compensate you for the same.
Insurance companies have made it easier to file and settle claims. If you avail Reliance car insurance especially, you can expect a completely hassle-free process. Being aware of these steps can come in handy and will allow you to file the claim at the earliest. And, remember, never start the car if it is submerged in the water and renew your four wheeler insurance on time to continue enjoying extensive coverage.