The BMW GS range of motorcycles is well known for their on- and off-road touring capabilities. To comply with Euro 4 emission norms, the GS line-up has just been revised, but the changes are deeper and the impact is much more than just cleaner end cans.
The F 700 GS, F 800 GS and F 800 GS Adventure
BMW Motorrad’s F 700 GS is positioned as an entry-level adventure motorcycle for riders with soft skills and an inclination for on-road riding. The F 800 GS, on the other hand, offers a combination of on- and off-road touring abilities. However, it is the BMW F 800 GS Adventure which is the more serious adventure tourer for seasoned riders.
All the three models are powered by the advanced liquid-cooled, parallel twin, fuel-injected 798cc engine, which is now, modified to adapt to the Euro 4 emission regulations. One of the key changes to help meet emission norms is the introduction of ride-by-wire. This has allowed BMW to finally offer four riding modes – Rain, Road, Enduro and Enduro Pro; the latter two modes being offered only on the F800 GS and F800 GS Adventure. The electronic updates also include refinements to the traction control system.
New instrument cluster, cosmetic upgrades
The new 2017 editions of the three middleweight adventure touring motorcycles are also fitted with a newly designed and legible instrument cluster, which sports an additional ‘malfunction indicator light’ (MIL) meant for ensuring emission output while on road. The new editions also come with three new paint schemes, but the BMW F 800 GS Adventure gets two additional paint options along with new radiator trim elements, intake silencer cover and ignition lock casing.
BMW Motorrad’s 2017 line-up brings the ever popular adventure touring motorcycles in step with the competition in this increasingly hard-fought segment.
An overview of the highlights:
1. Adaptation to EU4 requirements.
2. Newly designed end piece of the standard tailpipe and HP sports silencer by Akrapovič available as an original BMW Motorrad accessory.
3. Electromotive throttle controller for improved response and controllability.
4. Riding modes 'Rain' and 'Road' as standard. Riding modes 'Enduro' and 'Enduro Pro' (only F 800 GS / F 800 GS Adventure) as an ex-works option.
5. Instrument panel with new dials, MIL indicator lamp and riding mode display.
6. Dynamic paint finish, and style concepts.
7. Side reflectors on fork slider tubes and fixed fork tubes.