The much-anticipated Hyundai Alcazar has been introduced in the Indian market, with introductory prices for the petrol version starting at Rs 16.30 lakh, while the diesel version is priced from Rs 16.53 lakh (ex-showroom, India). Hyundai begun accepting bookings for the Alcazar online and at dealerships earlier this month, with the booking amount set at Rs 25,000.
- Hyundai Alcazar is available in two seating layouts
- It is available in three trim levels
- It is offered with a 2.0-litre petrol and 1.5-litre diesel engine option
- It will rival the Hector Plus, the XUV500 and the Tata Safari
The carmaker claims it has aready recieved 4,000 bookings for the Alcazar, with a 50:50 split between the automatic and manual gearbox versions. Additionally, 60 percent of the models booked are with the 6 seat layout and the remaining 40 percent are with the 7 seat layout.
|2021 Hyundai Alcazar introductory price (ex-showroom, India)|
|Petrol 7 Seat||Petrol 6 Seat||Diesel 7 Seat||Diesel 6 Seat|
|Prestige MT||Rs 16.30 lakh||Rs 16.45 lakh||Rs 16.53 lakh||Rs 16.68 lakh|
|Prestige AT||-||Rs 17.93 lakh||Rs 18.01 lakh||-|
|Platinum MT||Rs 18.22 lakh||-||Rs 18.45 lakh||-|
|Platinum AT||-||Rs 19.56 lakh||-||Rs 19.79 lakh|
|Signature MT||-||Rs 18.71 lakh||-||Rs 18.94 lakh|
|Signature AT||-||Rs 19.85 lakh||-||Rs 19.99 lakh|
Hyundai Alcazar: exterior design details
The exterior of the Alcazar gets subtle design changes to help differentiate it from the Creta. These include a new grille, an updated front bumper, a prominent rear quarter glass, new wraparound tail-lights, a slightly more upright tailgate, faux dual exhaust tips and a larger set of 18-inch alloy wheels (compared to the Creta’s 17-inchers). Another prominent difference when compared to the Creta, is that the Alcazar looks noticeably longer, owing to its 150mm longer wheelbase (2,760mm).
Hyundai Alcazar: variants
The Alcazar SUV is available in three trim levels - Prestige, Platinum, and Signature. The Alcazar is also available in six exterior paint shade - Taiga Brown, Typhoon Silver, Polar White, Titan Grey, Phantom Black and Starry Night - of which two colours (white and grey) will be offered in a dual-tone scheme.
Hyundai Alcazar: features
Hyundai has packed the Alcazar with a lengthy list of features, some of which are even segment firsts. These include a 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster (segment first), a 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, Hyundai’s connected car tech, a lane change camera (visible in the instrument cluster when you use the indicator), a 360-degree camera, in-built middle-row sun shades, a panoramic sunroof, ISOFIX child seats mounts, wireless phone charging, automatic climate control and much more.
It is worth noting that, unlike the i20 and Verna which use a low-cost backlit LCD digital instrument panel, the Alcazar uses a full-fledged colour screen (similar to the one seen on Hyundai models abroad).
As already mentioned, the Alcazar will get an added row of seats, with either a 6-seat (with captain’s chairs in the second row) or 7-seat (with bench seating in the second row) configuration. The interior will also be offered in a black and brown dual-tone colour scheme, and the version with captain's chairs gets a unique floor-mounted central armrest with cupholders, a wireless phone charger and extra storage space.
2021 Hyundai Alcazar: engine and powertrain options
Under the hood, the Alcazar comes with a petrol and a diesel engine option. The 2.0-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine is an updated and more powerful version of the one in the Elantra and Tucson. In the Alcazar it develops 159hp and 192Nm (7hp more than the Elantra). The diesel engine on the other hand, is the same 1.5-litre, four-cylinder turbocharged unit from the Creta – producing 115hp and 250Nm – though it has been tuned differently.
Gearbox options for both engines include a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic. Hyundai also claims that the Alcazar, in the petrol-manual configuration, can do the 0-100kph sprint in 9.5sec. Additionally, the three-row SUV is available with multiple drive modes – Comfort, Eco and Sport – as well as multiple traction control modes – Sand, Snow and Mud.
Coming to the fuel efficiency, the petrol manual returns 14.5kpl while the automatic version returns 14.2kpl. The diesel engine is even more frugal, as with the manual gearbox it returns 20.4kpl and with the automatic, it returns 18.1kpl. Hyundai claims, this makes the Alcazar the most fuel-efficient SUV in the segment.
2021 Hyundai Alcazar: rivals
As things stand, the Hyundai Alcazar competes with the other three-row SUVs like the MG Hector Plus, Tata Safari and the Mahindra XUV500. Though, this segment is set to become even more competitive with the arrival of the new Mahindra XUV700 (that replaces the current XUV500) later this year.