NGT pulls up Volkswagen India on diesel car recall

NGT pulls up Volkswagen India on diesel car recall

16th Jul 2018 7:04 pm

National Green Tribunal questions why VW India hasn’t recalled 3.23 lakh diesel cars with potential emission irregularities.

AD

In yet another development in the ‘Dieselgate’ scandal, the National Green Tribunal has questioned Volkswagen India, asking why the 3.23 lakh diesel cars with potential emission irregularities in India have not been recalled, as yet.

Volkswagen India had issued a voluntary recall in 2015 following the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) findings of a large discrepancy between laboratory and on-road emission levels on cars with the EA189 family diesel engine. The recall in India included 1,98,500 cars from Volkswagen, 88,700 cars from Skoda and 36,500 cars from Audi, all across various models that were equipped with EA189 engines – which include the 1.2-litre, 1.5-litre, 1.6-litre and 2.0-litre diesels. However, the NGT has noted that only 64 percent of the affected cars have been recalled, so far, with action yet uninitiated on the remaining 36 percent.

To make the engines compliant with prevailing emission norms, VW was to bring out software and hardware upgrades, developed in consultation with the ARAI. However, the ARAI has stated that Volkswagen has submitted upgrades for only 70 percent of the affected engines.

SOURCE

Copyright (c) Autocar India. All rights reserved.


Tell us what you think.