The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has issued a notification stating that select RTO based services can now be carried out in a contact-less manner – online with Aadhar verification.
Driver’s licence and vehicle registration related services moved online
Total of 18 services available via Aadhar authentication
This has been implemented in an effort to reduce crowds at RTOs
MoRTH notification: What does it say?
In essence, MoRTH has issued this notification to allow citizens to get certain RTO services related to driver’s licence and vehicle registration completed entirely online from the safety and convenience of their homes. This has been done in an attempt to reduce crowds at RTOs to prevent the spread of the ongoing pandemic.
In order to utilise these contactless services on the online portals, citizens require valid Aadhar cards for authentication purposes. This will aid the RTOs verification process significantly.
In the notification, MoRTH stated, "Any individual desirous of availing various contactless services, through the portal, is required to undergo Aadhaar authentication". It further added, "Provided that till the time Aadhaar is assigned to the individual, benefits of contactless services shall be given to such individual subject to the production of Aadhaar Enrolment ID slip".
Which RTO services are available via Aadhar authentication?
There are a total of 18 services that can be availed in a contactless manner through the Aadhar verification process. These include:
1. Learner’s License
2. Renewal of Driving License for which test of competence to drive is not required
3. Duplicate Driving License
4. Change of Address in Driving License and Certificate of Registration
5. Issue of International Driving Permit
6. Surrender of Class of Vehicle from License
7. Application for Temporary Registration of motor vehicle
8. Application for Registration of motor vehicle with fully built body
9. Application for issue of duplicate Certificate of Registration
10. Application for Grant of NOC for Certificate of Registration
11. Notice of Transfer of Ownership of motor vehicle
12. Application for Transfer of Ownership of motor vehicle
13. Intimation of Change of Address in Certificate of Registration
14. Application for registration for driver training from Accredited Driver training centre.
15. Application for registration of motor vehicle of Diplomatic Officer
16. Application for assignment of Fresh Registration Mark of motor vehicle of Diplomatic Officer
17. Endorsement of hire-purchase agreement
18. Termination of hire-purchase agreement.
Legislation for mandatory ISI mark on car glass deferred by a year
FASTags mandatory for highway toll payments from midnight today
Scrappage policy for Government vehicles approved