The New York International Auto Show, due to happen in April 2020, has been postponed due to coronavirus (Covid-19) concerns. This announcement follows the postponement of the Beijing motor show, also in April, and the cancellation of the Geneva motor show last week. The new dates for the New York auto show will now be August 28 to September 6, 2020.
New York is one of the hardest-hit areas for coronavirus cases in America so far, with 173 confirmed cases as of March 10.
The decision to run the motor show in August ensures enough breathing space from Detroit motor show which, this year, will run in June for the first time, having previously been held in January. Organisers of the Detroit show have said they are closely monitoring the coronavirus situation while moving forward with show plans.
Mark Schienberg, boss of the Greater New York Automobile Dealers Association, the organisation that operates the New York motor show, said: “We are taking this extraordinary step to help protect our attendees, exhibitors and all participants from the coronavirus.
“For 120 years, ‘the show must go on’ has been heavily embedded in our DNA, and while the decision to move the show dates didn’t come easy, our top priority remains with the health and well-being of all those involved in this historic event.
“We have already been in communication with many of our exhibitors and partners and are confident that the 2020 show will make for another successful event.”
The organisation said that the show contributes $330 million (Rs 24.33 crore approx) to the local economy.
More MotoGP, Formula E races postponed over Coronavirus fears
Tata Motors: Chinese suppliers gradually resuming operations
BS6 and Coronavirus impacts two-wheeler sales in February 2020