- Maintenance costs calculated over 60,000km
- Mid Range hatchbacks maintenance costs compared
- Factors in service life as well as cost of parts and labour (ex-Delhi, inclusive of taxes)
With the budget and entry level hatchbacks offering petrol only power, the Mid-range Hatchback segment is where you will find the most affordable diesel. And while in the pre BS6 era all the cars here had diesel power it’s now only the Nios and Figo that come with diesel engines. The KUV100, Swift and the Ignis being now petrol only.
Unfortunately, Maruti refused to participate in this test, however, we have managed to source the data through our dealer sources for the sake of this comparison study and thus its prices should be treated as estimates.
Mid-range hatchbacks maintenance cost comparison
- One year or 10,000km is the standard service interval in this segment.
- It’s a close fight for the top spot in this segment, between the Hyundai and the Ford, the Figo though comes out on top in both the petrol and diesel guise narrowly piping the Hyundai.
- Ford charges for labour at a flat rate of Rs 1,926 from the 20,000km service, amounting to a total of Rs 9,630; Hyundai on the other hand charges for labour from the 30,000km service at a flat rate of Rs 2,620, amounting to a total of Rs. 10,480.
- The Mahindra KUV100 has a higher number of replacement parts but what balances the Mahindra’s cost are its labour rates which are applicable from the 30,000km service onwards, averaging Rs 1,895 per service, which helps it tuck below the Maruti Swift and Ignis which are the priciest cars to service in this segment.
- The two Maruti’s share the same engine and other components, however, it is their preset labour charges due to which there is a slight difference in their total costs.
Did you find this maintenance cost comparison helpful? Tell us what you think in the comments section and stay tuned for maintenance cost comparison surveys of other segments that are coming soon.
|Mid-range hatchbacks maintenance costs (in Rupees)|
|Mahindra KUV100||Ford Figo||Ford Figo||Hyundai Grand i10 Nios||Hyundai Grand i10 Nios||Hyundai Grand i10 Nios||Maruti Swift||Maruti Ignis|
|COST OF PARTS|
|Washer Drain Plug||9||42||9||NA||NA||NA||6||6|
|Spark Plug (for entire set)||342||375||NA||NA||302||NA||800||800|
|Service Intervals||1 year or 10,000km||1 year or 10,000km||1 year or 10,000km||1 year or 10,000km||1 year or 10,000km||1 year or 10,000km||1 year or 10,000km||1 year or 10,000km|
|1st Service Cost (parts+labour)||1986||1398||2198||1457||1457||2094||1832||1832|
|2nd Service Cost (parts+labour)||2287||3487||4287||1824||1640||3399||5145||5122|
|3rd Service Cost (parts+labour)||3613||4171||6113||4077||4261||4714||4546||4369|
|4th Service Cost (parts+labour)||5464||3487||4287||4444||4260||6019||6653||6447|
|5th Service Cost (parts+labour)||4175||3324||4124||4077||4077||4714||4452||4369|
|6th Service Cost (parts+labour)||6003||4815||5787||4809||5087||6018||5298||5412|
|Maintenance cost per km||0.39||0.34||0.45||0.34||0.35||0.45||0.47||0.46|