Maintenance costs calculated over 60,000km
Entry level hatchbacks maintenance costs compared
Factors in service life as well as cost of parts and labour (ex-Delhi, inclusive of taxes)
Sitting just above the budget segment, the entry level hatchbacks offer an improvement in terms of space as well as performance and features. Here too, the segment is a petrol-only lineup in the BS-6 era. There are six models on offer with from four manufacturers.
Unfortunately, Maruti refused to participate in this test, however, we have managed to source the data through our dealer sources for the sake of this comparison study and thus its prices should be treated as estimates.
Entry-Level hatchbacks maintenance cost comparison
- One year or 10,000km is the standard service interval in this segment, with the exception of Tata which offers a longer 15,000km interval. Tiago owners need to make a routine visit to the service centre for a routine check-up every 7,500km, for which the company charges Rs 850 from the 22,500km check-up onwards.
- The Datsun GO is the most economical to maintain due to fewer replacement parts and a flat Rs 1,770 labour charge from the 20,000km service onwards.
- Trailing the GO is the Hyundai Santro, which is almost as light on the pocket.
- The other Hyundai, the Grand i10, comes in third spot a little further. Hyundai charges for labour from the 30,000km service at a flat rate of Rs 2,620, amounting to a total of Rs. 10,480.
- The Maruti Wagon R is the only one in this segment with two engine options, both have similar maintenance costs and come in below the Tata Tiago, which despite having the least number of services up to 60,000km, sits on top of the maintenance cost chart.
Did you find this maintenance cost comparison helpful? Tell us what you think in the comments section and stay tuned for maintenance cost comparison surveys of other segments that are coming soon.
|Entry-level hatchbacks maintenance costs (in Rupees)|
|Datsun Go||Hyundai Grand i10||Hyundai Santro||Tata Tiago||Maruti Celerio||Maruti Wagon R||Maruti Wagon R|
|COST OF PARTS|
|Washer Drain Plug||NA||NA||NA||22||6||6||6|
|Spark Plug (for entire set)||562||282||NA||342||315||315||800|
|Pollen / HVAC filter||NA||394||198||232||NA||NA||NA|
|Service Intervals||1 year or 10,000km||1 year or 10,000km||1 year or 10,000km||1 year or 15,000km||1 year or 10,000km||1 year or 10,000km||1 year or 10,000km|
|1st Service Cost (parts+labour)||1219||1457||1229||3214||1254||1396||1491|
|2nd Service Cost (parts+labour)||3264||1820||1412||7132||4283||4425||4520|
|3rd Service Cost (parts+labour)||2989||4261||3825||8251||3673||3815||3910|
|4th Service Cost (parts+labour)||4143||4440||3843||7132||4920||5384||6002|
|5th Service Cost (parts+labour)||2989||4077||3660||NA||3567||3709||3804|
|6th Service Cost (parts+labour)||3264||5066||4373||NA||4425||4567||4662|
|Maintenance cost per km||0.30||0.35||0.31||0.43||0.37||0.39||0.41|