Mark takes pole in Monaco
15th May 2010 7:00 am
Red Bull stays unbeaten in qualifying in 2010 after Webber takes pole in Monaco.
Red Bull remains unbeaten in qualifying in 2010 after Mark Webber fended off a huge challenge from Renault's Robert Kubica to take pole position for the Monaco Grand Prix.
Kubica looked like a strong favourite for a shock underdog pole as his early Q3 time put him a massive 1.1sec clear of the field. He started improving even more on his next run, but Webber was going faster still, sneaking ahead with a 1m14.104sec.
Kubica's response was a 1m14.120sec, leaving him second, with Webber then making certain of the top spot by producing a 1m13.826sec with his final lap of the hour, as he maintained his momentum after dominating in Spain.
Sebastian Vettel took third in the second Red Bull, ahead of Q1 leader Felipe Massa, who was Ferrari's only representative in the session following the practice crash that left Fernando Alonso on the sidelines with a damaged chassis.
McLaren had a disappointing session, with Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button back in fifth and eighth, split by the Mercedes. Nico Rosberg beat Michael Schumacher this time, albeit by just 0.046sec.
Rubens Barrichello showed Williams's strongest dry weather form of the year by taking ninth, with his rookie team-mate Nico Hulkenberg also driving well for 11th.
Tonio Liuzzi put his recent qualifying troubles behind him by completing the top ten, as his Force India team-mate Adrian Sutil missed Q3 for the second time in a week and lined up 12th.
Monaco F1 qualifying times
1. Webber (Red Bull-Renault) 1:13.826
2. Kubica (Renault) 1:14.120
3. Vettel (Red Bull-Renault) 1:14.227
4. Massa (Ferrari) 1:14.283
5. Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes) 1:14.432
6. Rosberg (Mercedes) 1:14.544
7. Schumacher (Mercedes) 1:14.590
8. Button (McLaren-Mercedes) 1:14.637
9. Barrichello (Williams-Cosworth) 1:14.901
10. Liuzzi (Force India-Mercedes) 1:15.170
11. Hulkenberg (Williams-Cosworth) 1:15.317
12. Sutil (Force India-Mercedes) 1:15.318
13. Buemi (Toro Rosso-Ferrari) 1:15.413
14. Petrov (Renault) 1:15.576
15. de la Rosa (Sauber-Ferrari) 1:15.692
16. Kobayashi (Sauber-Ferrari) 1:15.992
17. Alguersuari (Toro Rosso-Ferrari)1:16.176
18. Kovalainen (Lotus-Cosworth) 1:17.094
19. Trulli (Lotus-Cosworth) 1:17.134
20. Glock (Virgin-Cosworth) 1:17.377
21. di Grassi (Virgin-Cosworth) 1:17.864
22. Senna (HRT-Cosworth) 1:18.509
23. Chandhok (HRT-Cosworth) 1:19.559
24. Alonso (Ferrari) No time