F1: Ocon replaces Hulkenberg at Force India

    The Frenchman replaces Nico Hulkenberg, who was released from his contract to allow him to complete a switch to Renault.

    Published On Nov 11, 2016 04:28:00 PM

    1,675 Views

    F1: Ocon replaces Hulkenberg at Force India

    Force India has announced the signing of Esteban Ocon on a "multi-year deal" from the 2017 Formula 1 season.

    The Frenchman replaces Nico Hulkenberg, who was released from his contract to allow him to complete a switch to Renault.

    Pascal Wehrlein, Jolyon Palmer - ultimately retained by Renault - and Felipe Nasr were also on Force India's shortlist, but it was Ocon who got the nod to partner Sergio Perez.

    Force India team principal Vijay Mallya said: "He's an exceptional talent, as his status as a Mercedes junior demonstrates, and I have no doubt he will flourish inside our team.

    "We've had our eye on Esteban for a number of years and have followed his progress through the junior categories where he delivered outstanding results.

    "We ran him in the car last year during testing and his performance convinced us that he is more than capable of racing alongside Sergio."

    Ocon represented Force India in last year's in-season tests, and has also sampled F1 machinery with Mercedes and Renault, making four FP1 appearances with the latter in the first half of this season.

    He made his race debut with Manor at the Belgian Grand Prix, replacing Rio Haryanto.

    "I'm still relatively new to Formula 1, but spending half a season at Manor Racing has given me some valuable experience and I feel ready for this new opportunity with Force India," Ocon said.

    "The next few months will be very busy as I do all I can to prepare for the challenge ahead of me.

    "It means lots of days at the factory, working on the simulator and building relationships with the engineers and everybody in the team.

    "I can't wait for 2017 and my first full season racing in Formula 1."

    With Palmer retained by Renault and Kevin Magnussen headed for Haas, Force India's announcement leaves just Sauber and Manor with vacancies for 2017.

    Sauber is set to stick with Nasr and Marcus Ericsson, while Wehrlein is likely to get a second season with Manor, alongside a replacement for Ocon.

    The deal makes sense for Mercedes as it provides Ocon with a competitive car in which the manufacturer can assess his talent.

    The reigning world champion team will be considering its future options, with Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton's contracts expiring at the end of the 2018 season.

    Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff said: "Force India have a strong record of working with young drivers and have again shown courage and vision to take Esteban under their wing.

    "Even more, it is a positive development for Formula 1 that talent wins over money and we will be seeing some of the most impressive youngsters fighting to make it to the top in Formula 1 over the coming years."

    Copyright (c) Autocar India. All rights reserved.

    Comments
    ×
    img

    No comments yet. Be the first to comment.

    Ask Autocar Anything about Car and Bike Buying and Maintenance Advices
    Need an expert opinion on your car and bike related queries?
    Ask Now
    Search By Car Price
    Poll of the month

    Which was your favourite Car, SUV at Auto Expo 2023

    Maruti Suzuki Jimny

     

    25.24%

    Maruti Suzuki Fronx

     

    14.62%

    Maruti Suzuki eVX concept

     

    2.74%

    Tata Harrier EV

     

    9.74%

    Tata Sierra

     

    23.93%

    Hyundai Ioniq 5

     

    4.05%

    Hyundai Ioniq 6

     

    3.43%

    Kia EV9 concept

     

    2.83%

    MG4

     

    2.03%

    Toyota Land Cruiser 300

     

    11.39%

    Total Votes : 3502
    Sign up for our newsletter

    Get all the latest updates from the automobile universe