The new BMW 5-series has been launched in India and is available in three trim levels. The entry-level 'Sport Line' is offered with the option of either a petrol or a diesel engine while the mid-level 'Luxury Line' and top-end 'M Sport' are diesel only.
The new 5 is offered with one petrol and two diesel engine options. The petrol engine on offer is a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder turbocharged unit similar to that offered in the 3-series in its more powerful 30i state of tune. The unit develops a substantial 252hp and 350Nm of torque under the hood of the 530i. Of the two diesels on offer, the mainstay of the range is a 190hp, 2.0-litre unit that powers the 520d. The second diesel is the larger and more powerful 256hp, 3.0-litre, in-line six-cylinder engine under the hood of the 530d.
All three engines are paired with an eight-speed automatic gearbox as standard. BMW is also offering the new 5 with adaptive suspension as standard.
Let's take a peek at the variants and what they are offering:
Sport Line (530i: Rs 49.9 lakh, 520d: Rs 49.9 lakh)
- 18-inch, double-spoke light alloy wheels
- Five driving modes – Sport, Sport+, Comfort, ECO PRO and Adaptive
- Launch control function (only in the petrol option)
- Cruise control
- LED headlamps, fog lamps and daytime running lights
- BMW display key
- Electronically-adjustable seats and steering column
- ABS with brake assist
- Dynamic stability control and dynamic traction control
- Rear view camera, along with front and rear parking sensors
- Dual front, front-side and rear-side airbags
- iDrive infotainment system with 10.25-inch LCD screen and features such as gesture control, handwriting recognition and 3D navigation system.
- Ambient interior lighting
- Audio system with 12 speakers
Luxury Line (520d: Rs 53.60 lakh)
- W-spoke-styled 18-inch alloy wheels
- Adaptive LED headlamps
- Four-zone climate control and cooled glove box
- Remote parking function
- Surround cameras with 360-degree view, including top-view and panorama-view
- Wireless phone charging
- 600W Harman Kardon surround sound audio system
M Sport (530d: Rs 61.30 lakh)
- Launch control
- Double-spoke-styled 18-inch M alloy wheels
- Lumbar support for driver and front passenger
- Multi-function M leather steering wheel
- BMW head-up display with full colour projection
- Rear seat entertainment displays
- 40:20:40 rear seat split
The new 5-series will lock horns with the likes of the Jaguar XF, Audi A6, Volvo S90 and the new Mercedes E-class long-wheelbase.
All prices, ex-showroom, post GST