The Renault Kwid has won the 'Car of the Year' award at the Autocar India Awards 2016 held at Taj Lands End, Mumbai on January 29, 2016. Apart from the top award, the Kwid also drove away with the title of 'Hatchback of the Year'.
In the two-wheeler category, the Bajaj Pulsar RS 200 was adjudged the 'Bike of the Year'. The RS 200 not only impressed the eminent jury but also our readers, as it won the 'Readers' Choice Bike of the Year' award as well.
The Kwid fought off tough competition from the likes of Maruti Baleno, Honda Jazz and even the Hyundai Creta. In fact, the Creta walked away with three awards as it was pronounced the 'Readers' Choice Car of the Year', the 'SUV/Crossover of The Year' as well as the 'Premium SUV/Crossover of the Year'.
The country’s largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki won the 'Manufacturer of the Year' award with its newest hatchback, the Baleno, being adjudged 'Premium Hatchback of the Year' as well as 'Best Value for Money Car of the Year'.
The Autocar India Awards are highly prized by both car manufacturers and car buyers. It is the outcome of months of behind-the-scenes work, where the contenders are put through a series of rigorous tests by the most experienced jury members in the field.
Apart from the above winners, the BMW i8, Mercedes-Maybach S-class, Audi Q7, Ducati Scrambler Icon and Triumph Tiger 800 XCx were some of the other models that earned a spot in the roll of honour.
2016 AUTOCAR AWARDS WINNERS
1. Car of the Year - Renault Kwid
2. Bike of the Year - Bajaj Pulsar RS 200
3. Readers' Choice Car of the Year - Hyundai Creta
4. Readers' Choice Bike of the Year - Bajaj Pulsar RS 200
5. Best Design & Styling - BMW i8
6. Best Value for Money Car of the Year - Maruti Baleno
7. Variant of the Year - Fiat-Abarth Punto
8. Manufacturer of the Year - Maruti Suzuki India Limited
9. Technology and Innovation Award - BMW i8 Hybrid
10. Engine of the Year - Mercedes-AMG 4.0 V8 petrol
11. Performance Car of the year - Mercedes-AMG C63 S
12. Hatchback of the Year - Renault Kwid
13. Mid-size Hatchback of the Year - Ford Figo
14. Premium Hatchback of the Year - Maruti Baleno
15. SUV/Crossover of the Year - Hyundai Creta
16. MPV of the Year - Renault Lodgy
17. Luxury Car of the Year - Mercedes-Maybach S-class
18. Premium SUV/Crossover of the Year - Hyundai Creta
19. Luxury SUV/Crossover of the Year - Audi Q7
20. Sportscar of the Year - Audi TT Coupé
21. Scooter of the Year - Vespa SXL 150
22. Premium Bike of the Year - Ducati Scrambler Icon
23. Import Bike of the Year - Triumph Tiger 800 XCx